Monday 16 January 2012

Top Tennis Tips

... are absolutely nowhere to be found within this blog - but with the Aussie Open upon us, I shall discuss it (briefly) here nonetheless. I do enjoy tennis. As a kid, I used to climb over the fence and into my school with my friend so that we could use their tennis court, and we'd play pretty much the whole day - even through the burning heat of a summer's day (of course it was always hotter in the olden days!). And as a family we used to absorb the whole of Wimbledon, endeavouring to watch as many matches as we could. Going there is also a fantastic day out.

For whatever reason, however, I have largely ignored getting involved in tennis as a trading activity but, as stated a few entries back, it is my intention to try and do so more this year. Ideally I would like to try some trading on the Aussie Open, as the liquidity is good, but with matches starting at midnight and a full-time job to hold down, this isn't particularly easy. Before going to bed last night, I did briefly try out a basic strategy with a £50 stake on the Azarenka v Watson match, and have walked away with the princely sum of 93 pence.

Now this may be small fry to you, but I'm absolutely delighted with it. I had a cracking day on the footy yesterday, but I think this tennis profit has pleased me just as much.

Also, as you can see from the screenshot, I've gone ahead and dutched Murray, Nadal and Tsonga in the Tournament Winner market for £100. I should have done this before the tournament started of course, but being the disorganised muppet that I am, I've only just got round to doing it. Anyway, my thought is that all three of these should in theory make it easily enough to the second week, whereupon I intend to trade-out before any of them face strong competition. May work and it may not.

I suppose my main problem with tennis is that I don't have the confidence to trade on it as I do with the football - where I always know my next move whatever situation presents itself. Having said that, there's only one way to improve, isn't there, and that's by jumping into the deep end. And the positive thing is that I still enjoy watching tennis, and this is important. Trading should not be a chore, it should be something that (hopefully) you gain profit from but also something you derive pleasure from doing.

The second issue I (currently) have with tennis trading is the paucity of trading methods that I have at my disposal. The ones I do have are, of course, all stolen, and so far I have yet to come-up with a single idea of my own. Hopefully, if I put enough time and consideration into it then one or two may pop-up, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

If anyone does have any ideas that they'd like to share, then please feel free to do so. I'll detail the stolen ones that I know of now but, as you can see, none of  them are particularly involved:
  • Lay the server in WTA on evenly-matched players.
  • Lay any player who is 1.10 or less to win and then green-up a few ticks later if they start slowly. Stop-loss this if you like.
  • Back the underdog to win 2-1 in the sets market and lay them in the match odds market (only for three set matches)
  • Back the server in mens for strong servers.
  • Lay the server when they are 0-40 or 15-40. This is a method given by Tradeshark on the Racingtraders forum sometime back.
  • Back the favourite, and place a "keep bets" back order on the dog to completer an underround book.
Hmm. Yes, not so impressive a list, I realise. But from small acorns do grow, and all that crap. Anyway, this is essentially a football trading blog and it will continue to be so, but if I am able to grab any small trades along the way in the next two weeks, I'll try and mention them. Currently I don't hold out too much hope that I will get the time (for the reasons already mentioned) but when I'm back in my hotel tomorrow and Wednesday, I'll try and come up with some strategies (or use some of the above) to use as keep bets while I slumber in my bed.

May post again tonight as I intend to trade the Wigan v Man City game.

11 comments:

  1. Your strategies look fairly basic! I'd be tempted in your case to have at look at Tradeshark's website. He has a £29 one-off charge membership and there is a fair amount of positive feedback around about his forum and advice. I only follow his blog, but he comes up with some decent tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Soccerdude, I would say that you are asking for trouble blindly using most of those strategies in today's markets. If you don't know the players and understand the markets, you won't know when is best to apply the strategies that might pay off, so it doesn't really matter what strategies you have at this stage.

    It's the same with any new sport you try to trade; there is no holy grail system that will put you in profit just by repetition. You need to watch hundreds (thousands maybe!) of games and get a feel for the markets. Only then will you be able to compete with experienced traders - and at the end of the day, that is what you are doing every time you enter a trade.

    P.S. Trade Shark recommmended - just don't expect miracle results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob, to call my (well, they aren't mine) strategies basic is to be a little bit too kind to me. I do realise they are kindergarten strategies, but I suppose you have to start somewhere. I intend to trade with very small stakes and may be using some of these rudimentary ideas just to help me get a foothold in the market.

    Once I start getting into matches on a serious basis, I'm hoping that my own style will work itself out. I don't hold out a great deal of hope mind you, but still feel I'd like to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sultan. Thanks for the comments. Of course I realise there is no holy grail. I've been trading long enough to know that. I do, though completely agree with you about putting the hours in. So many people are looking for shortcuts and it just ain't gonna happen.

    This is okay, though. As mentioned, I enjoy trading and I enjoy tennis, so whether I fail or succeed I won't feel as if I've lost anything.

    BTW, you've both mentioned Trade Shark and indeed I have looked at his site and I follow his blog. I won't be signing-up though. I like to make my own mistakes and follow my own advice.

    Cheers
    Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. only an idiot would follow trade shark
    the guy lose money and sell cheap e books
    he also publish in his foroum in other names
    to compliment him self

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may be right and you may be wrong. I don't know anything about the guy. As mentioned though, I like to make my own decisions and so it doesn't affect me either way. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good attitude socceer dude!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Anonymous, Re: TradeShark: As a moderator on his forum I can tell you with 100% certainty that he is not posting under other names. As for his trading guide, it is just that. He provides a members area where he posts his basic strats and answers any and all questions. Many of his members have used his strats to build on their own ideas and strategies. His tipping service is new and did start out a bit rough, but appears to have turned around; we will find out in February.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks SilkBC

    To be fair to TradeShark, even though I have no first-hand experience of his service, any bad word normally gets around quite quickly. From everything I have ever read, however, the opposite is true, and I gather that he's helpful, open and honest.

    The problem with these things often comes when people expect miracles. They think that because they've paid a subscription then they are entitled to some mystical secret that will allow them guaranteed profits - but of course we all know it doesn't work like that. TradeShark can only help to point people in the right direction, but the hard work still has to come from the individual. When someone is not prepared to do that, or if they fail to correctly heed the advice given, then they'll often look around for a target to blame. And that target is never going to be themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi guys,
    Good to see a balanced discussion. You can't please everyone and I feel you're correct in saying that those who don't follow the advice given often get stung by an unfamiliar market/sport and then blame the person giving the ignored advice.
    The anonymous poster ( why are the critics always anonymous? ) saying I post under other names to praise myself made me chuckle. After almost 3 years I think my reputation is as good or as bad as its going to get. Some like my attitude and approach. Some see my straight talking Yorkshireman style as either rude or arrogant. Either way I won't be changing!
    I haven't seen this blog before ( or at least don't remember it) and I see you have a link to my blog. I will add one back here shortly. I just need to post what a wonderful person I am and that i can't believe how incredibly insightful my work is on my own forum ( under another name ofcourse )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tradeshark

    Thanks for the comment and also for deciding to add my blog to your roll. That's much appreciated.

    I agree that, with the amount of time you've been going, you have little or nothing to prove to anyone.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.