Wednesday 25 January 2012

Lazy Gambler

What a lazy git. There I was, sitting in the pub, a nice pint of ale in my hand watching the Liverpool v Man City match tonight, with not a problem in the world.

"Hmmm, the game looks lively. I'm sure Liverpool will score more in the second half. I know, I'll lay the current score."

Fire-up the Betfair app on my mobile, tap, tap, done deal.

Yes, as I say, lazy, lazy, lazy. This is just the kind of thinking that separates gambling hobbiests such as myself from professional traders (not that I ever want to become a professional). It's the too-easy diversion from the path that surely makes the difference.

I suppose, if I'm honest, I just wanted to add a bit of extra interest into the game for, as entertaining as the match was, as a neutral, it just needed a little something to "pep it up" a touch more. And yes, what perfect way to achieve that than to put some of my children's inheritance on the line (as Theo Paphitis might say) and have a bet for fun... And actually it did help; It did add a little bit of extra spice and made the game more interesting. Also, luckily (and hand on heart, I have to say it was pure 100% luck), the match went my way and I won my bet.

As a hobbiest, however, I have to admit that I did feel a tinge of disappointment with myself. On a Saturday - which is often my main trading day - I can spend a whole day trading and come away with less than I won tonight. This is not to say that toiling all day should always be redeemed or that quick wins are not welcome, but if the idea is to slowly and steadily build-up a bank using a strong, disciplined approach, then my actions today are most certainly not the way forward.

Okay, that's enough of the self-rebuking. I suppose, in the final analysis, there's not too much wrong with a fun bet for people like me. Either way, win or lose, it's not going to affect the food I put on the table or threaten the roof over my head, so maybe I should not take it all too seriously. Maybe I'm just being a pussy.


Soccer: £104.77 | Tote: |  Total P&L:  £104.77 

 

Soccer Showing 1 - 1 of 1 markets

Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
Soccer / Liverpool v Man City : Correct Score 25-Jan-12 19:45  25-Jan-12 21:41  104.77

2 comments:

  1. Hey hey;
    I'm feeling just the same.

    I'm placing loads of micro bets (normally 2-5 €) throughout the day on sometimes totally random matches.. i'm having a sometimes pretty dull job in the office and taking a quick glance at my smartphone just spices things up a little.
    normally, i'll end up losing (of course) a little piece of yesterday's winnings, but i found it worth it.
    i eventually find myself enjoying even the tiniest win.

    still, it's true, that this is totally not a professional approach to it. but as long as it's fun, there's absolutely no reason to stop.


    cheers

    jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, thanks for your comment. I try not to make a habit of this type of betting but, as you say, perhaps there's nothing wrong with it for amateurs like us.

    I suppose It's easy to say that if you're winning, but perhaps a different matter if your bank starts shrinking as a result.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.