Thursday 22 December 2011

What Matters Most?

... Your favourite team winning or making money on the match? Well, for me, that's a bit difficult to answer. Of course it would be nice to have both, but in the past Spurs have won the game and I've come away happy, even though I lost money on that game (as long as it's not too much money, you understand :-) ).

The Spurs v Chelsea game tonight was exciting, and the way Spurs started I thought they were going to completely overrun Chelsea, but after Spurs scored (leaving me in the red), they sat back and Chelsea worked their way back into the game - especially after Assou-Ekotto went into "sleep mode" and allowed Sturridge to venture into the box unimpeded.

When the second goal went I was looking at a straight £200 loss should another goal go in. I took the view, however, that despite the fast-nature of the game, there wouldn't be a surfeit of goals, so at that point I backed Under 4.5 goals. This would offset any loss I had on the 2.5 goals market, and in the meantime, I could slowly reduce my red on the 2.5 to even-up my position.

Of course the game ended with less that 2.5 goals, but I still show a loss on that market as I wasn't "betting" on it, I was trading it. With the chance of a full loss, I traded-out with a £110 loss at half-time and then steadily reduced this with disciplined scalps all through the second-half. I managed this to the extent that with my win on the 4.5 market, I ended the night in profit.

This is an important point. When things are going against you, do look around (impartially) to see if there is anything practical that can be done to reduce losses or correct your situation. The 4.5 goals bet is not always going to be on. You will have to assess each game on it's merits to determine whether this avenue of escape is a practical one or not. Often times it won't be, and you will have to look at other routes. Other times, of course, the only sensible thing is to take the loss on the chin and come back another day.

Football: £40.65 | Tote: |  Total P&L:  £40.65 

 

Football Showing 1 - 2 of 2 markets

Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
Football / Tottenham v Chelsea : Over/Under 2.5 goals 22-Dec-11 20:00  22-Dec-11 22:00  -35.16
Football / Tottenham v Chelsea : Over/Under 4.5 Goals 22-Dec-11 20:00  22-Dec-11 22:00  75.81

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.