Sunday 4 December 2011

I'm So Ashamed

I nearly didn't post this entry, as I do genuinely feel ashamed of myself. But I figure this has got to be a completely honest blog, warts and all. This way, I can learn and, hopefully, others can learn from all my horrible mistakes along the way.

I've been betting/trading/scalping for over five years now, and today was the day I found myself, inexplicably panicking and chasing like there's no tomorrow. There's absolutely no excuse for it - and even more bizarrely no real reason behind it either.

Okay, let me talk you through my P/L today, and I'll attemp to explain all my irrational behaviour. The first three small wins were me trialling a bot that I was running on the match odds. All looks okay for this bot, but it very early days and I will need to perform considerably more testing before I have any real definitive answers for it's success or failure.

The Celtic game was standard trading/scalping and there was no dramas there. So up to this point, the day was panning out in normal fashion, but then it all started falling apart.

For some reason, I decided to put a straight bet on Juventus winning the first half. This is the point where things went bad, and even now I cannot provide an explanation of why I went with this bet. I'm a trader, not a bettor.

Even though they looked they were going to win the match comfortably, the score at half-time was 0-0 and so I lost that bet. This wrankled me as I looked at the profit I'd already made on the other matches and realised that my profit so far was all but wiped out.

"I know, I said to myself, Juventus look like they're going to win this match easily enough, I'll recoup my loss on the half-time by backing them on the full-time match odds."

And so I did. I was watching the game and growing a little exasperated at all the missed chances - and foolishly I decided to get involved in trading the Correct Score at completely the wrong time and in the wrong way. This is something I've never done before but I went ahead anyway. Well, about twenty seconds after I got involved in this market, Juventus scored and I lost  £200.  If I'd remained patient my full-time match odds would have won and that would have been the end of my chasing, but now I was on a roll!

Seeing my losses wracking-up, I continued with my suicide mission, made back about £50 before hitting another loss of around £120. Total loss on this market now hit £274. This meant that overall, at this point I was over £200 down (of course the full-time match odds bet won with no problem).

Absolutely fuming with myself, I decided that I couldn't trade or scalp any more today. So instead, I made yet another totally stupid decision. I threw a straight £300 bet on Over 2.5 goals on the Wolves game. And yes, this bet was won and all my losses were recovered in one fell swoop.

So I come out on top today (over £100), but feel more down and depressed with myself over my betting than I can ever remember. What a complete and utter wanker. There are four distinct episodes of chasing here today, with the final one (luckily) working out.

I cannot really explain how this roller-coaster got started today. It's all so out of character for me and cannot be described as anything other than a complete disaster. And, as I have mentioned at the beginning, I'm ashamed with myself.

Okay, so I will make myself and anyone reading this blog a promise here and now. This is the last time I will EVER do anything as stupid as this ever again. It is utterly pointless and can only lead to heavy, heavy losses in the future. This is my solomn promise.
 
Football: £102.24 | Tote: |  Total P&L:  £102.24 

 

Football Showing 1 - 9 of 9 markets

Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
Football / Wolves v Sunderland : Over/Under 2.5 goals 04-Dec-11 16:00  04-Dec-11 17:41  319.54
Football / Juventus v Cesena : Correct Score 04-Dec-11 14:00  04-Dec-11 15:51  -274.78
Football / Juventus v Cesena : Match Odds 04-Dec-11 14:00  04-Dec-11 15:50  52.30
Football / Juventus v Cesena : Half Time 04-Dec-11 14:00  04-Dec-11 14:47  -37.02
Football / Dundee Utd v Celtic : Over/Under 2.5 goals 04-Dec-11 12:45  04-Dec-11 14:42  13.02
Football / Dundee Utd v Celtic : Correct Score 04-Dec-11 12:45  04-Dec-11 14:40  17.11
Football / Cardiff v Birmingham : Match Odds 04-Dec-11 12:30  04-Dec-11 14:25  5.71
Football / Aachen v 1860 Munich : Match Odds 04-Dec-11 12:30  04-Dec-11 14:21  2.92
Football / Dynamo Dresden v FSV Frankfurt : Match Odds 04-Dec-11 12:30  04-Dec-11 14:20  3.44

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.