Saturday 8 September 2012

Waving Your Willy

Okay, I'll warn you now so that you're completely aware. I'm in full ranting mode tonight.

Came across a blog this evening (I won't say which one) in which they have posted up a lovely picture of their "setup". Oh, and guess what? Yes, that's right. They have four screens in a dedicated office. Indeed there is even a little caption stating, "Where the magic happens".

Oh for fuck's sake. Do me a favour!

This person may well have four screens to do their trading, whoopy-doo, but it just seems mightily curious how the same picture of someone's "setup" seems to be all over the internet. All these traders must live with each other.

Apparently everyone who trades on Betfair has four screens and a computer that goes like a Japanese bullet train. Of course they all have a separate office space and dedicated broadband lines too.

Yeah right. What makes me really laugh is that the one I saw today has a £100 bank and plonks it all on 1.03 "certainties" and is compounding. Why on earth would you need four screens for that? I could do that on a phone, for crying out loud, while ordering a pizza from the local takeaway at the same time. I could probably knock one out too if I had to.

Just to be clear, I don't have four screens. Here is my "setup":



Cool, huh? Now that is what I call willy waving. My little beauty goes like a bat out of hell but please, I implore you, don't be jealous. You can't all reach this level of hardware.

In all seriousness, I have one PC, one screen and - if I'm trading in front of the telly - one laptop. I don't have a dedicated broadband line, so if my daughter is in her bedroom downloading a 50 terabyte video from YouTube, I have to scream up the stairs to tell her to "get off" as my kit slows down to a snail's pace. I have no separate trading office - unless you count my lounge, which is often like Piccadilly Circus and where my youngest daughter often comes in and says, "Oh no, you're not betting again, are you?"

The truth is, we don't all have the perfect setup and most of those who say they do are full of shit. The funny thing is, most of us don't even need this mystically magic setup that, somehow, helps us all make shed loads of money. Yes, the breaking news is that, if you can't do it on one screen, then you can't do it on four either. Maybe you can lose four times as fast, but that's about it.

So, please, less of the bullshit, less of the bigging yourselves up and perhaps a bit more self-honesty and honesty towards those you are addressing. Afterall, we're all pretty much the same as you anyway. We're all just muddling along.

Okay, I'm feeling more drunk by the minute, so I'm going to get back to my glass of port and my packet of McVities Cheddars now. I'll crawl back into my box and leave you in peace.




9 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I've been thinking about writing something similar for a long time! It annoys me when people have a photo of their set-up. I sit on a swivel chair with my laptop - I really don't get why you'd need anything more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an excellent post, and very true. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amusing entry. I have posted my own thoughts on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny post......especially as I'm in the process of moving from a 2 screen to a 4 screen setup!

    Now where's that bottle of water...

    All the best,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolute quality m8 - if it is the 4 screens joined together I'm thinking about it's probably the guys down at Optic Ltd.

    I've got four screens - two small TVs linked to one PC, and two monitors linked to another. I do use them for following games as I trade a lot. However,looking to downsize and get software doing all the hard work with goal times, recording odds, etc.

    All the best

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blog you have a blast at is mine, as yes it's my office set-up. "Where the Magic happens" is a sarcastic statement, do you have to serious to right a blog?!. I would also like you to see where that picture is also shown on the internet because it's just a pic of my bedroom.

    for all your blog readers my blog is http://sportsbettingforfun.blogspot.com

    I don't use all 4 screens for trading (i do use 2) one for the ladders and one for graphs. For the other two, one is used for my works e-mail/network (as i can work from home and have to act as soon as work comes in) and the other is for checking twitter for last second trainer comments and to watch the dialog in a live sports trader room for which a group of traders exchange live trades/tips.

    Anyway, not sure why I have to explain myself, but to rant about a pic is a bit strange but as I've pointed out It's a bit of a normal set-up for someone who works a normal job and trades from home.

    Cheers
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, the compounding bets is a bit of fun and to prove that it's possible for anyone to compound a small bank into something larger with a bit of patience. I'm seriously not going to give away my trading secrets that I've worked on for years am I so doing it for a bit of fun - hence the domain of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never backed a 1.03 'certainty'. Have laid quite a few though:-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.