Friday 5 October 2012

Penalty to Man Utd!



Heard that sentence before? I certainly have. In fact last season, there was a 28.95% chance (or odds of 3.45) that you might hear that sentence in each and every one of Man Utd’s matches. 

I don't have the stats for previous seasons, but I wouldn't be too surprised if these figures are reproduced year upon year.

Yes, I’ve been digging into the Opta data again to see if I can unearth any little nuggets of information that may be of interest to you and to me. Man Utd did indeed secure the most penalties last year, being awarded 11 of them. They scored 9, giving them a conversion rate of 81.82%.

The average for last year across all teams was 2.63 penalties across the season, with a conversion rate of 72%.

West Brom were only awarded a paltry three penalties last year and only scored one of those. This, however, was not the worst conversion rate. No, the worst penalty takers were the team who managed to hit everything but the back of the goal last term: Liverpool. They were given 6 penalties last season, and only scored one. That’s only a feeble 16.67% conversion rate.




Penalties Awarded League Table 2011/12



Penalties Conversion Rate League Table 2011/12






7 comments:

  1. Hi Mate

    Would you be so kind as to add our new blog to your blog roll, you are already on ours

    http://sportsbettingbloggers.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I just thought I’d give you the link to my site Liability Trading. All about liability trading low odds on Betfair tennis markets, check it out:

    Liability Trading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liability Trader

    You site has a couple of problems for me. First it's not a blog. Your blog link of: http://http//liabilitytrading.blogspot.co.uk/ goes nowhere and so I can' add that. A static site will just drop to the bottom of my blogroll. No point.

    Also, my pet hate, you don't know how to spell lose! It's not that difficult. IT IS NOT "LOOSE"

    If you reinstate your blog I may add you.

    Cheers
    Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the team that does most attacking gets most penalties, stats for time in opposition penalty area would make comparison with penalties won intersting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or even interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting theory anon., but that does not explain how Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs (the 3 highest scorers after United and City) were awarded so few? By the way soccerdude, I'm a different anon. so no one is talking to themselves!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.