Wednesday 31 October 2012

A bit more LTD


Comments from my last post included this from Puppyguts:

if you were going to LTD at HT why not wait until the 60-70 min? if a goal is scored early in the 2nd half the profit you gain is rarely satisfying, so why bother? there is nothing worse than firing off a draw lay at HT them having to witness the odds tank 10 mins later. overall you would probably make a better profit backing the draw and laying it off instead.

personally i lay the draw as one of my sole strategies and i find it easy to turn a profit, low draw odds get gubbed everyday

There are a couple of points here that need addressing. First, Puppyguts confusingly states, “personally i lay the draw as one of my sole strategies”. Not sure if he means it’s one of his strategies or its his sole strategy. If it’s the latter, then that should sound the alarm bells.

So what’s the problems only having one strategy? Well, if the only tool in your box is a hammer, there’s a danger that everything starts to look like a nail. In other words, if your only strategy is LTD, then every game is going to seem like a candidate, regardless of whether it’s a good fit for that strat or not.

The second thing that Puppyguts mentions is that it’s best to lay the draw at 60-70 minutes as “low draw odds get gubbed everyday”. Well, this is worth checking, isn’t it? I’m sure low draw odds do get gubbed – but the real question is, do they get gubbed enough for us to profit over the long term?

I took a quick look at the Premier League last season. There were 130 matches that were a draw at 60 minutes, and 75 of those were not draws at full-time. That equates to lay odds of 2.36. And for 70 minutes? Well there were 110 matches that were a draw at 70 minutes, but only 54 of those were not draws at full-time. This is fair lay odds of 1.96

Now it obviously depends on individual matches, but I'd say these odds are a pretty accurate reflection of the lay odds on offer for the average match. And if this an an accurate reflection, then there is no value there and no long-term profit to be had.

ironypirate seems to agree with me:

Interesting post, Eddie and I agree with your points. I think you need to excuse those in the chat room who regularly employ this strategy - most just seeing a 0-0 game and thinking it's a perfect candidate. A lot are reformed gamblers who have moved to trading to try and right their wrongs. LTD seems to me to be a necessary step that all those that make the journey across need to go through as it stands on the precipice between being a punt and a trade.

To me, every time I LTD (and I do it less and less) it still feels like a gamble. I feel less in control which is odd I suppose given that a goal or goals generally make or break a trade no matter what market you're dabbling in. Even discounting the historical data and in play stats, like you, I just don't think there is much value to be had in the price movements especially when prices are influenced by more than one factor - dog scoring / favourite scoring / red cards etc etc. Unless of course you LTD in the 85+ minute hoping for a last gasp winner as was the case at Newcastle on Sunday. But then it is just a punt in my eyes, even if the liability is low enough to justify punting in this manner.

I suppose I should point-out that I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with laying the draw. Like any other market or any other strategy, when used correctly (the right tool for the right job), it can work beautifully - and there are undoubtedly times when it is absolutely the right thing to do.

The problem, as I see it, is to rely on laying the draw over the long-term without any definable edge.

... But then again that's a problem on any market, isn't it? Do you have an edge or not?



9 comments:

  1. I think it's a bit assuming of you to say every game is going to seem like a candidate for people who solely use LTD or use it as one of only a few strats. Surely that depends on the discipline of the individual. I have had decent success with LTD and it is one of many strats I employ. I do go on in-play stats, shot counts etc. It doesn't work every time, but it works enough of the time for me to realise that the games with little activity/shots/attacks are the ones more likely to end in a draw. Games with high shot counts are the ones most likely to win a LTD trade. Obviously, it doesn't work every time and stats can be decieving, but it works more times for me than it doesn't and my records show a decent profit from LTD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree the stats don't look very promising if you were going to LTD at every given opportunity and at pre-defined entry points. but in reality i don't trade matches like an automated bot which your post suggests. laying the draw in the 60-70 min was just an example to show that laying at HT doesn't hold much value.

    as a rule i only trade matches i can watch live, which has a big influence on whether i will enter the trade or not. in a season i will only have to hit a handful 90th minute winners to ensure the year is profitable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi fedslam

    Thanks for your comments. The point I was trying to make was that if you only have one strategy in your armoury, there may be a tendency to employ it when it's not suitable. The right tools for the job.

    If you, and puppyguts, make a profit over using LTD over the long term (and I do mean long-term!), then that's fine. I'll climb back in my coffin and remain quiet. You may both be amongst the few that do.

    Oh, and puppyguts, there is no more value at 60-70 minutes than there is at 45 minutes. I think I've already demonstrated that. The downside is less of course, but then again, so are your chances of securing a win.

    Cheers
    Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi.

    > "But then again that's a problem on any market, isn't it? Do you have an edge or not?"
    That's exactly the question, in my view. This problem has been troubling me ever since I started in this trading business, or more precisely, ever since I first heard about the concept of 'value'. The problem with this concept (assuming I understand it correctly) is that there's no way to certify you've found it, except in retrospect over a large number of bets, and even then you cannot be completely sure that a big downturn of variance is not waiting for you round the corner...
    Overall I find the concept of 'value' is a useful theoretical tool, a useful way to look at things if you want, but something a bit too broad and fuzzy when it comes to practice...
    Anything I might be missing here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re-reading my comment I noticed I might be confussing finding 'value' with 'having an edge'. Am I right?
    Still, both are essentially un-verifiable (if that word even exists), which to me makes them equally not that useful..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Harry

    Thanks for your comments.

    If someone feels that they have a strategy that they like the look of, then they could back test it against historical data. This, of course, is not the same as live betting, but it's the next best thing.

    Based on those results, the individual can then say "Okay, thse results show there is an edge of n%.

    Using that system with that defined edge, they can run it on the current season and, if they find bets that show they are value on the system when put up against the actual odds on offer, then that would equate to a bet. The % edge could then be used to determine the staking level (using Kelly).

    Based on what I've just said, I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say that value is a "theoretical tool".

    I would agree that the danger is the edge part. If someone has miscalculated their results, then their edge could be misinterpreted, and their stake size could lead them to bankruptcy.

    All very tricky, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again.
      Yes you're right testing against historical data can give you a sense of how your strategy will perform, but then again, "in theory". As I think you'll agree, past results are no guarantee of future ones, and hence you can only be so confident even after the tests. I suppose you can get a certain confidence in that your strategy is not utterly wrong, but still, all the testing in the world will not prove you've found a winner..
      Maybe I'm being a bit too picky about the whole thing, but I come from an engineering background and so I'm used to dealing with 'hard' facts and maths :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Harry

    I don't think we're ever going to get to the level of proof required in engineering, so if you're looking for that then you've got a long and fruitless search ahead of you.

    We are essentially trying to predict the future, and this is the best we can do. Unlike in engineering, we have 22 people wandering around a pitch (23 including the ref). Some may have had good days, others bad days. Some may be feeling off-colour or have argued with their wives. Some may be feeling top of the world.

    There are just too many variables, but what testing does show is that, on balance, we should get more right than we get wrong.

    My only advice is that if you can always follow value, then you'll certainly not lose any money - and there will be a strong possibility that you will be in profit over the long term.

    Cheers
    Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, predicting the future proves to be a bit trickier than I first thought ;)
      I'll probably stick to pre-match scalping for the time being.. I'm a bit alergic to risk as you may have figured out.
      Keep up the fantastic work with the site.
      Cheers!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.