Friday 12 October 2012

Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker..

 
I'm not sure if these are the actual day jobs of the players that comprise the San Marino national football team, but I suspect it's not too far off. They most certainly are not professional footballers.

Yes today we have a true David and Goliath match-up when the tiny prinicpality of San Marino square up to the mighty England.

San Marino's international record is really quite breathtaking. The last match they played was back in August, and was at home against Malta, where they did themselves proud but still lost 2-3.

Before that, however, we have: 0-4, 0-5, 0-11, 0-1, 0-3, 0-1, 0-1, 0-8, 0-2, 0-8... and so on and so forth. One amazing, almost unending string of losses. The last time they scored an away goal was in a friendly against Lichtenstein back in 2003, where they drew 2-2. But they have never won a single international match. Not even one. And according to FIFA, they are officially the worst team in the world (tied last with Turks and Caicos Islands), which is quite some title.

So perhaps the 1.01 for England to beat them today is not too outrageous. I suppose it will be a case of how just interested the England players are in humiliating the opposition. And that may be the only thing that prevents them scoring too highly.

Almost every single market concerning this match has made me snort with disbelief. I don't recall seeing odds like it. The whole match and the whole spectrum of betting opportunities are something of a joke.

I won't be watching the match, as it's a bit like lambs to the slaughter - but I have layed over 6.5 goals for a small stake at 2.2. Even five minutes without a goal will see this market move enough to grab a few ticks and make a small profit. If England come out of the blocks fast and bang a couple of goals in quickly, then my lay will go down the pan, but I feel absolutely obliged to oppose these nonsensical odds in some shape or form, even if I end-up losing.

Of course there are plenty of other international matches on today also. Some of them are even competitive. I don't really know at this stage whether I will be getting involved in any serious way, but if I do any proper trading, it most certainly won't be on the England match.

Good luck to any of you that do get involved today.








3 comments:

  1. Is that the same over 6.5 with pre match lay odds of 1.93? The beauty of hindsight eh?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably... but it's 20 minutes in now. No score and I'm green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good. I wondered how long you would have been exposed for. After reading your blog I was intrigued so did the same just pre kick off and managed to exit for almost a 16% profit after 10 minutes. I then watched it go beyond 5 before the goal, but I was comfortable with that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.