Thursday 16 August 2012

Spurred Off

Just a little concerned about my beloved Tottenham. They've bought no one in the off-season and they've lost Adebayor, who was admittedly a lazy bastard but still popped a few goals in; Saha, who was another decent goalscorer even though he's getting on a bit and now we are on the point of losing Modric, who is outstanding.

I know there's talk about Moutinho and M'Vila coming in but these are unknowns as far as the Premier League is concerned, and there is no guarantee we can get them anyway.

On top of this we've also lost Rednapp. This was a man who was undoubtedly not the most tactically sharp manager in the world, but who was fantastic at motivating his players. And in his place we have Villas Boas, who has yet to shine in the Premier League. Apparently he's adopting a slightly different, more relaxed, style compared to when he was at Chelsea, but with the Spurs team several percentage points weaker than they were last season, if they get off to a bad start or hit a rocky patch early on, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the old paranoid and persecuted character from last year again.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I think Spurs are heading for a worse season than we had in 2011/12. Hopefully we don't slide back to the middle of the table, where we've been so frequently seen in the last ten years.

Update:
I said we bought no one in the off-season, but we do have Sigurdsson from Swansea. Then again we also lost Ledley King through retirement

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I was a Harry fan but felt he shot himself in the foot by not distancing himself from the England job. We should have qualified for Champions League football and that was one of the reasons he is now unemployed.
    I have no confidence in the new manager and I expect Spurs to be top 8 or top 6 at best. I think they are now in the same category as Liverpool and would be good lay top 4 material.
    I am upset by such statements because at times last season it was heady stuff and to be considered as premiership champions material( be it only for a couple of weeks) was weird. We had a sizeable lead over Aarsenal and yet still we blew it. Someone had to take responsibility for that.
    The lack of significant signings worries me. Where are the goals coming from and does the manager know how to interact with his players to optimise their talents? If he is not careful other people will want out as well and then it is a slippery slope. I would rather have had David Moyes as I think we would have been more consistent with him if not as entertaining. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vagabond

    Think I agree with you on David Moyes. I think he would have been an excellent choice.

    Anyway, here's hoping that our negative forecast doesn't come to light.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.