Thursday 16 February 2012

Back To Business


After the long debates on how to rate football matches and compile match odds,  I felt I really should get back to actually doing some trading. Before I give a report on my activities, however, I'd like to refer to a post by Dave at Betfair Football Trading - The Highs and Lows

In his most recent post, he's been kind and "bigged" me up somewhat regarding my Match Odds post. This of course is very nice of him, but I did feel compelled to respond. I repeat what I posted as a comment on his blog:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the plug of my post - always welcome.

I feel that perhaps I've dug myself into a hole with these kind of posts, or else people reading them have made certain assumptions about me.

The fact is that I am absolutely no expert of any kind. I have been betting for probably less than six years and I make no claims at being better (or indeed) worse than anyone else.

If you've read my other posts, you'll see that I am at the mercy of the same vagaries and emotional weaknesses that seem to strike many bettors. I bet really for fun only and consider it a hobby. My P&L, whilst generally in the green, is largely unimpressive. My average winnings probably don't equate to more than £50 per session. Hardly earth-shattering.

I make all these points just to drive home the fact that all I'm trying to do is make my blog a little bit interesting to read, and one way to do that is to share any information I have gathered along the way. As mentioned on the blog, there is really nothing new in what I'm saying (thus I'm not giving away any edge).

I read lots of other blogs and try and get from those what I hope others get from mine. Everyone has their own style and own way of betting that they feel comfortable with. But sometimes, someone in one of their blogs, will divulge an interesting nugget of information that can lead me into new areas.

This is all I'm trying to do with mine. So I suppose the point I'm making is don't expect too much from these posts of mine. I'm sure I'll make mistakes and show my naivity and lack of knowledge on a constant basis.

To whomever reads my blog, take what you will from it, but I make absolutely no claims of any kind.

Okay, Job done. I have now successfully wormed out of all responsibility. :-)

Cheers
Eddie.


I think that just about covers it all.



Okay, well I think I last reported on my activities last Saturday. My lack of time hasn't really improved a great deal, but I have traded since then. On Sunday, I managed a small amount before having to go out for the rest of the day:

Soccer: £81.30 | Tote: |  Total P&L:  £81.30 

 

Soccer Showing 1 - 4 of 4 markets

Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
Soccer / Wolves v West Brom : Over/Under 3.5 Goals 12-Feb-12 13:30  12-Feb-12 15:05  3.56
Soccer / Wolves v West Brom : Over/Under 2.5 goals 12-Feb-12 13:30  12-Feb-12 14:53  25.67
Soccer / Wolves v West Brom : Over/Under 1.5 Goals 12-Feb-12 13:30  12-Feb-12 14:18  1.61
Soccer / H Rostock v Duisburg : Correct Score 12-Feb-12 12:30  12-Feb-12 14:10  50.46

I also managed a small trade on the correct scores market whilst stuck in my hotel on Tuesday night. I was also just about to run the exact same trade on the AC Milan v Arsenal match, but came in too late from work and missed my opportunity.

Soccer: £50.46 | Tote: |  Total P&L:  £50.46 

 

Soccer Showing 1 - 1 of 1 markets

Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
Soccer / Middlesbrough v Nottm Forest : Correct Score 14-Feb-12 19:45  14-Feb-12 21:43  50.46

Finally, I got down to some decent trading this evening when I got back from my travels. Pretty much as soon as I walked in the door I managed to grab a few small bits and pieces on the Ajax v Man Utd game. I then had my evening meal and relaxed for a bit, thus missing the first half of the Porto v Man City match, but then traded the correct score market on this and did quite well:


Soccer: £102.98 | Tote: |  Total P&L:  £102.98 

 

Soccer Showing 1 - 4 of 4 markets

Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
Soccer / Porto v Man City : Correct Score 16-Feb-12 20:05  16-Feb-12 21:58  80.29
Soccer / Ajax v Man Utd : Over/Under 2.5 goals 16-Feb-12 18:00  16-Feb-12 19:50  8.34
Soccer / Ajax v Man Utd : Correct Score 16-Feb-12 18:00  16-Feb-12 19:50  5.25
Soccer / Ajax v Man Utd : Over/Under 1.5 Goals 16-Feb-12 18:00  16-Feb-12 19:43  9.10

I'm hoping to get a good crack at the F.A. Cup matches this weekend, but we'll just have to see how things go. Unfortunately, life just keeps getting in the way.

BTW, In answer to Dave's plea, I am still writing subsequent posts for my Compiling Match Odds series. I do a little bit at a time and am presently writing two at once, so hopefully these should be ready to go out in the not too distant future.

2 comments:

  1. Eddie, there was no 'bigging up' or intention to cast you as some kind of guru!

    The fact is that you have obviously taken the time and trouble to dig into the mechanics of this business, and have the ability to explain it in a fashion that a) is intelligible, b) interesting and c) potentially useful to others as you indicate.

    I've been merrily plugging away in my own fashion for some years now and I'll confess to having been lazy in the extreme when it comes to actually trying to understand what it is I do. Now I've taken up the baton so to speak I'm all ears when you, Cassini, The Sultan or anyone else talks sense.

    That said, I am old enough and ugly enough to accept responsibility for my own successes and failures and would hope most if not all of your other readers are as well - so no worming out of responsibility, real or imagined, is necessary.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello,
      i am betfair full-time trader since 4 years and since short time i started to trade for customers with a ROI of 35% per month on average.
      If you are interested to join me or share trading views dont hesitate add me in msn tradingpro@hotmail.fr or mail me in that adress.
      good luck

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.