Friday 18 January 2013

Breaking News: water is wet


Yes, water is indeed wet, it gets dark when the sun goes down, big tits are not good on a man and smoking 100 Rothmans a day is not healthy for you.

... oh, and yes, Luis Suarez is a diver.

Hm? What was that. Suarez is a diver? Are you sure? Well, yes, apparently the man who is whiter than white has confessed all when giving an interview to Fox Sports Argentina, admitting that his ridiculous swan dive when playing against Stoke was indeed an example of, how shall we say?, not so honest behaviour. That's right, Suarez is a contestant that didn't quite make the grade to appear on Tom Daley's reality television series Splash!

Of course the fact that Suarez has finally done the decent thing and admitted what every person on the planet already knows is not the interesting thing about all this nonsense. No. It's Brendan Rodgers sham anger at Suarez's admission, calling it "unacceptable" and letting us all know that the matter will be dealt with internally.

It seems that simulation begets simulation. Suarez's fake pole-axing after being assaulted by a feather, followed this week by Rodgers fake ire at finally finding-out in print what he'd seen first hand anyway. It's beyond belief.

Being the wise monkey with his hands over his eyes is not a sensible or credible approach, and it's halfway down the road to Kenny Dalglish's style of "deny everything" management. Perhaps Rodgers still believes the Earth is flat because he hasn't been up to space and seen it for himself? Maybe he's still holding-out hope that the Loch Ness monster will be found. And perhaps he still thinks that Liverpool are a big and important club.

In my view both Suarez and Rodgers should receive some kind of sanction for their gross dishonesty. Neither are oil paintings, so maybe they should be forced into this years annual gurning competition as a penalty - although Suarez does have an unfair advantage there.



____________________________________________________


A couple of comments now. The first on my post about maintaining records of all betting activity:


Laurie Wakeham17 January 2013 02:27

I too have spent ages setting up spreadsheets.I have created a new one for 2013,along with a statsitics and prediction model spreadsheet(during work hours as im bored to death and need a new job desperately).

I'm hoping these pain staking hours of inputting statistics will pay off this year.So fingers crossed. Altho i still have to do an unders/over model too,but cant be arsed at the moment as its just too hot and being couped up in dark cave whilst its 40 degrees outside just isnt healthy,(almost as unhealthy as my betting account).

Good luck on your effort Laurie, although putting-up with that heat must be troublesome. You poor dear! And here we are in England, lucky enough to be enjoying snow blizzards and temperatures of -10 degrees. How you must envy us.

The other comment I have received recently was from Swearbox in response to my post on his blog:

Swearbox16 January 2013 19:22
"Don't spend more than three or four minutes reading the absolute shite in there as it will surely melt you brain. "

Hmmmm...I can't make up my mind whether you are referring to my blog posts or the comments that follow some of them. Hopefully it's the latter but clarification would be great.

As far as it becoming a 'mini-forum' then that's fairly accurate. As you pointed out in your piece above I am currently banned from the forums and have been for the best part of a year now. So if I have something to say that I would have said on the forums I say it on my blog. If others want to comment then I welcome that and it's fair to say that I don't spend too much time on moderating comments though I did go through a period where I had to censor a bunch of posts due to repetitive stupid remarks aimed at mr Bob Vegas that were uncalled for.

My own moderation policy has led to a tremendous amount of 'same old same old' crappy flame wars and my advice is if you don't want to read that then don't read it. In between the insults the comments also serve as a place where pleasantry is exchanged too (shock horror)! Having said that the meat of the blog is the posts and not the comments and I try to make it an interesting read and I've had many folk tell me they enjoyed reading it. 

I'll conclude by saying thanks for putting me in the spotlight...I'm not sure what sort of a readership you have but I suspect it's not huge as my stats don't show a tremendous influx of traffic coming from your site...nevertheless your post did generate some interest so thank you. If you really do find my blog distasteful then you always have the option of removing me from your blogroll which is entirely up to you but I would say that we're in the business of helping each other not obstructing each other. Anyway I'll shut up for now and end by wishing you the best for 2013 and beyond.

There are a few points here, so I'll try to address them. First, yes I was referring to the comments section of your particular post and not your blog in general. I'd have to agree that some of your posts are worth reading and you  can be entertaining. 

I do also take the point about bloggers generally supporting each other and I have no intention of removing you from my blogroll. I don't recall whether I'm on yours or not, but if I am and you decide to remove it, then that's entirely up to you - but it will not result in you being removed from mine. I am childish in many ways, but that would be a step too far, even for me.

My post was largely meant to highlight the low and very poor standard of the Betfair forum, which one of your posts appears to have become an extension of. My target was the lame bunch of people who don't seem to have anything better to do than cause trouble amongst themselves.

Other than that, there does seem to be a bit of "dick checking" hidden within your comments, and a "my dad is bigger than your dad" aspect. What do I mean? 

"'Im not sure what sort of a readership you have but I suspect it's not huge as my stats don't show a tremendous influx of traffic coming from your site"

That sounds like a challenge! I've only been going just over a year now on this blog, but attract between 450 and 500 hits each day and have around 90,000 overall. Judging by the small number of posts you generally make, I'd be surprised (but not shocked) if your equate to that.

... so you see my dick is indeed bigger than yours, and my dad could almost certainly tear your dad a new arsehole.

Cheers.
 



6 comments:

  1. Before I typed the first character of this response (to your response above) I let out a great big sigh because I don't want my reply to generate any kind of protracted heated debate between the two of us over something and nothing.

    First of all thanks for the clarification. If I thought my blog posts were going to melt anyone's brain I'd give up writing. And thanks for letting me know that some of my posts are worth reading, it's nice to know that I do write something useful on the odd occasion.

    I won't touch the discussion about removal from blogrolls, save to say that a quick look at my homepage, or any other page of mine for that matter, will help your recollection of whether or not your blog is listed.

    Deep down I know that your post was meant to highlight the fact that the BF forum is not the place it used to be but you wandered way off topic when you put my blog url in front of everyone's noses. You start by saying "My post was largely meant to highlight the low and very poor standard of the Betfair forum, which one of your posts appears to have become an extension of. " and in the very next sentence it changes to "My target was the lame bunch of people who don't seem to have anything better to do than cause trouble amongst themselves." You can't have it both ways...start off saying your post was about the decline of the BF forum then wander off and rip into a small subset of posters who happen to have taken their squabble off the BF forum and onto my blog. Had you taken the time to look around a few of the other posts I've written you'll see, as I pointed out in my most current blog post written yesterday as a result of your post, that mass commenting (a mini-forum as you term it) isn't restricted to just one blog post. I'm more than happy for people to come to my blog to exchange insults, pleasantries, recipes, music, whatever. It's exactly that kind of interaction that used to be predominant on BF before the slaughter started. It used to be a place where you could call a spade a spade and not get banned...these days you mention spades and you get labelled a fucking racist ffs.

    As for the 'dick checking' then maybe that comment of mine wasn't warranted. Your stats show you've done extremely well in the year or so that you've been blogging so you're obviously doing something right and all power to you but as far as the dads tearing new arseholes goes my old man probably doesn't have one any more as he died in 1983. Cheers.

    Swearbox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Swearbox

    I agree about not allowing this to drag on indefinitely, so this will be my last response on this topic.

    You say that I "can't have it both ways" by first referring to the poor state of the BF forum and then by targeting the group of individuals on that forum and also in your "mini-forum". I completely disagree. I can absolutely have it both ways.

    A forum is a vehicle (a medium) for allowing people to express their views. As you rightly point-out, Betfair have taken their censorship and political-correctness way too far and have helped to strangle the life out of it - but they haven't done that on their own. A forum is not a forum unless there are people in it. The people ARE the forum, not the vehicle for expressing those views.

    There used to be a decent bunch of people on the Betfair forum, where all manner of sensible betting-related topics could be discussed. And I can honestly say that I used to derive some benefit from going on there. There were always the tossers who just used bicker and squabble but that was okay because they were "part of the mix" and some of it was amusing enough. Slowly, however, the lunatics have taken over the asylum and, for my money, they are one of the biggest reasons that decent intelligent discussion has been driven-out. I've lost count of decent threads being wrecked by morons.

    The fact that some of these small-minded people have themselves been forced-out by Betfair and have then spilled-out over onto your blog is pretty academic. They're the same people always looking for the lowest common denominator and worshipping it.

    ... Oh and by the way. My dad is dead also (1994). The battle can still take place in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT was a well thought out reply and, like you, I'll call it a day. The last line made me smile :-)

    Swearbox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having punched in statistical numbers since i last posted on your blog confident in my spreadsheet system and hoping to be transported to "Winville" instead i ended up in a 1975 outback farmers market,with trails of Cow sh*t (which can also be described as losses).
    I'm wondering how to add another dimension to my spreadsheet in terms of 'shots:shots on target:goals'.
    Any ideas on how i can implement this and if it's worth adding?

    ReplyDelete
  5. great read mate keep up the good work, any cricket trading help would be awesome


    free betfair systems

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey.. Absolutely fantastic blog this is. So informative and inspirational that i've now made my own. Hope you can add it to your list! Im still getting to grips with this blogging sphere, but ill try add yours too.



    http://thetradedelusion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.